Help others to develop their English and Digital skills and settle into life in Australia
Become a volunteer tutor
The Volunteer Tutor Scheme encourages people to join us in supporting adult migrants and humanitarian entrants who complete our Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP), helping them develop their English skills and settle into life in Australia. The scheme works across Sydney’s South West and the Canberra region.
Our Volunteer Tutor Scheme is designed to help migrants and refugees who cannot attend our AMEP classes, or who need extra learning support. Our volunteer tutors find the role extremely rewarding, often calling it “the best volunteering job in Sydney”.
This scheme gives you an opportunity to engage meaningfully with members of your local community who are new arrivals and to support their settlement through language.
The Volunteer Tutor Scheme has been streamlined for online delivery with various platforms available for use. Lesson times are flexible and can be out of work hours, or on weekends, depending on your availability.
Anyone can support us as a tutor, even if your first language is not English, and teaching experience is not necessary.
You will need:
- confidence and necessary skills in reading and writing in English
- access to a digital device such as a PC, laptop, smartphone, or tablet.
- a desire to help others learn
- to give 1 hour each week of your time (flexible dependant on personal availability)
- to attend 16 hours of free training and interactive workshops with a qualified TESOL teacher
- a Working with Vulnerable People General Registration
- to give a minimum 6-month commitment
- to give your services for free, as there are no reimbursements.
There is no need for you to have a teaching background as you will receive free training and resources as well as ongoing support from our Volunteer Tutor Scheme Coordinator with over 30 years of teaching experience.
You will receive:
- Training, support and resources from our Volunteer Tutor Scheme Coordinator
- An insight into new cultures and customs
- The opportunity to share your own culture with new arrivals to Australia
- The satisfaction of helping others and seeing their confidence grow
- The gratification of your student succeeding and possibly gaining employment as a direct result of your support
- The chance to make new friends.
Kindly fill in the following form to register your interest.
If you would like to make a difference and have a lasting impact on someone’s life, fill out the form below and one of our team members will be reaching out to you soon after.
*Eligibility criteria apply. The Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) is funded by the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs.